Saturday, January 10, 2015

"My Broken Body Does Not Deserve to be Limited by the Victoria Secret Angel" Thoughts on the cultural hype to vilify body types not given the Victoria Secret Stamp of approval

"My Broken Body Does Not Deserve to be Limited by the Victoria Secret Angel"

This is me.
I was once a size 2.  Do you see?
I lifted. Did burpees until I was red faced and puke ready.
I squatted and lunged and jump roped and planked.
Then I ran.  I ran and I ran,

I "T-25'd".  I "Piyo'd", "ellipticalled" and biked
and every other machine with a motor.

I was a superwoman and my abs were my
badge of honor.

But my body fails me,  it controls me.
It is a prison and it is also my home.
And while I must acknowledge that,
I do not have to accept the feeling that 
I am not good enough
because my hips are curvier than yours are sharp.

I am a warrior still, softer perhaps,
but no less indomitable in spirit.
Breath in, breath out, smile.

And while my battle is no longer bigger biceps,
I respect if it's your battle.

But understand my broken body does not deserve to be limited by the expectations of the Victoria Secret Angel or any others.

There are bodies beautiful that are not defined 
by breasts and thick tree trunk hips.
We must desist punishing the other for fitting a design
that is not a mold that we hold high.

1 comment: